Ojibway peoples have inhabited the northern shore of Lake Superior for thousands of years and were known to have covered significant territorial ranges in their pursuit of game, fish, and a variety of different plant foods.

The mouth of the Pic River has been a center of native trade and settlement for thousands of years. It was a strategic location in the region's water transportation network because it offered access to northern lands and a canoe route to James Bay.

The halfway point for canoers travelling the north shore of Lake Superior, "the Pic" first appeared on European maps in the mid-seventeenth century. Local natives began to trade furs with the French in the late 1770s, prompting a French trader to set up a permanent post here by 1792. The Hudson's Bay Company operated the post from 1821 until encroaching settlement led to its relocation in 1888 and, in 1914, the Pic became a reserve as defined under the Indian Act.

In the mid-1980's, Pic River suffered from many of the economic and social problems that plague First Nations peoples across Canada. In 1987, Pic River First Nation was invited to participate in a renewable energy project review for an upcoming hydroelectric facility on Pic River's traditional territory. Instead of participating as a reviewer, a visionary Chief and Council believed that this was time to cultivate a spirit of self-sufficiency and, in the process, sustainably develop strategically important resources. Opting to blaze a new path, Pic River submitted a request as a proponent. Wawatay generating station was commissioned in 1991, with Pic River holding a significant minority equity stake. This was only the beginning of Pic River’s renewable energy journey...

Show Map

Pic River First Nation Aboriginal/Treaty Rights Area

The Pic River First Nation identifies these areas as boundries for ancestral lands.

Shared Claim Area

Exclusive Claim Area

Download PDF of Area

Copyright 2013 Pic River Energy. Photos Taken at Pic River's Project Sites | Developed by mstar.io